NJTheater.com Forum
NJTheater.com
NJTheater.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Theater Forum
 Play Reading Club
 ART

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
* HTML is ON
* Forum Code is OFF
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Miss Brodie Posted - 23 Jun 2004 : 3:04:50 PM
This will be the play to read for discussion on June 30. But the next selection is going to have a lot of FEMALE characters.

ART by Yasmina Reza should be available at Borders, and maybe even Barnes & Noble.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zigeunerbaron Posted - 23 Aug 2004 : 10:15:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Brodie

Paul,
Do reserve time in your schedule for ART.

I certainly will, Catherine. I'm still kicking myself for missing MFL.
Miss Brodie Posted - 23 Aug 2004 : 11:54:45 AM
Paul,

Great to see you here again! Do reserve time in your schedule for ART. Rob has assembled a super cast, they're all delighted to be working together, and I think (hope) the production will be top notch.
Zigeunerbaron Posted - 22 Aug 2004 : 10:06:35 PM
All I can say is, having read this thread, I REALLY want to see this play.
Rob, I will be looking forward to your production in October.
Cathrine, great idea this play reading club, and I am happy to see a few folders flaming away. Don't be discouraged by the ones nobody picked up on yet. Someone may do a production and they'll hit a nerve. It's nice to have a great host like James who will leave them up there. The only problem, as I see it, is that many of the people who love plays are in them and too busy (not to mention emotionally involved) with the one they are in, and the ones NOT in plays are not in them because they are too busy with something ELSE.
It would be great if we could get some kind of not-for-profit rights waiver and put PDFs of the scripts themselves up somewhere for download. That would obviate the need to find, check out or buy them for club purposes. But, capitalism walks on the cloven hoof of profit and, as Othello says, "That's a fable."
Sorry I have been away so long. I missed the whole summer with you guys. I have been busy re-arranging my life to prepare for changes at work, and don't have the time to spend here right now. But I may retire soon, and then, you won't be able to get rid of me.
Paul
zadodci Posted - 19 Jul 2004 : 12:29:14 AM
ART

My reading of this has modified my opinion of this play. I mentioned previously that the production I saw at the Paper Mill Playhouse with Judd Hurish(Sp?) was one of the most boring plays I have ever seen. Now having read it I think I know why.

Having now read 'ART' and seen a production I think that the problem with it is the same as Plato's 'Dialogues.' It is very intellegent and useful reading in a college philosophy course by just doesn't make good theatre.

I was fasinated by the philosophical discussion of the meaning of art. But, Like Plato's 'Dialogues' it is just not good drama for an audience.

In short read it if you are interested in the philosophy of art. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

David M. Cicchelli
Treasurer
Spotlight Theatre Company
Miss Brodie Posted - 07 Jul 2004 : 11:33:53 AM
The play's too long? I read it in under an hour. This is NOT a long play. Maybe the production you saw dragged on too long.

And re: Sean Connery. Rob said he found information on the internet that Sean Connery sought the movie rights to make a film with himself and Michael Caine. Yasmina denied him the rights. How bizarre is that?
Alicia Posted - 06 Jul 2004 : 11:46:49 PM
I have to say that I agree with both Rob and Stefanie on this one - I have never actually read the script, but I did have the good fortune to see it performed at Circle - with an excellent cast. I wanted to see the original production in NY but never had the chance.

When done properly, with a cast that is both talented and can "mesh" together, the timing works perfectly - and each humorous nuance is understood.

My one complaint about the script itself? It's too long - I found myself losing interest in the end (which is very interesting, by the way) - which wouldn't have havppened if the play were about 15 minutes shorter.

"People are meant to be what they are...there is no limit to chances except that which we impart on ourselves." Patrick J. Starega
Wednesday Posted - 06 Jul 2004 : 10:45:00 PM
My first day of English senior year, I walked into the classroom and saw this question neatly written on the board..."What is Art?" I had heard that Mrs. Heeney -- our teacher, was impossible. I heard that this class was a toughie. And there was this question-- just so neatly written. And I remember thinkin' FUCK! What *is* art? And why don't I know the answer?? After all I had been taking oil painting classes every Saturday for the last four years from a master oil painter -- who painted presidential portraits for the White House. And here I really have no clue what art is....

I never really answered the question until a couple years later when it just came to me...Art is the only way we can see the world through another human beings eyes. Which leads me to this play --
I loved reading this play. I have never seen it performed. It tickled me to see that Sean Connery was a co-producer and that Albert Finney was in the original cast.

Favorite line ---

"Worse than repellent? Will you please explain how someone can be worse than repellent?"

I found myself getting chills after reading certain lines...when Yvan says he sees a "system" in the painting...

And Serge says that the painting should not be framed..."That it musn't be interrupted, it's already in its setting"

The painting represents something that we can't see...and since we can't see it...do we believe what it may represent to us? And what happens when our dear friends believe it...and we don't? What happens when a friend breaks the unspoken agreement that you have between each other and says something you hold near and dear is SHIT.
And then you hit the friend with, er...no -- you are the SHIT, well...not you really -- but YOUR GIRLFRIEND is Shit. yeah -- the way she does that thing with the cigarette smoke is SHIT.

Other take my breath away lines were:

"If I'm who I am because I'm who I am and you're who you are because you're who you are, then I am who I am and you are who you are. If on the other hand, I'm who I am because you're who you are, and if you're who you are because I am who I am, then I am not who I am and you're not who you are..."

"In fact I can no longer bear any kind of rational argument, nothing formative in the world, nothing great or beautiful has ever been born of rational arguments..."

The ending is stunning...down to the last line...

:::Spoiler:::

Marc stating that he sees in the painting that a man disappears into nothing...when this Nothing has really shown Marc who he is...

What I would pay to see Albert Finney perform that last moment alone.

Cool play -- now I am going to research Yasmina Reza and find out what prompted her to write the play.

If I had seen this performed, it would have definitely made me go out and buy the script for my collection. There are so many delicious phrases that must be so great to see performed and that I couldn't wait to see the words in text. The only other play I did that with was "Master Class" -- after seeing a performance w/ Patti Lupone I just had to buy a script to see certain phrases in print.

"It's not true that I had nothing on at the time. I had the radio on." -- Marilyn Monroe
Prosper Block Posted - 30 Jun 2004 : 5:28:03 PM
Yes, Catherine, I, too, found the play slight the first (and second) time. I never even finished reading it either time. But, if I may make a suggestion: some time down the road, try reading it again. If you catch the wave, it's quite a joyous ride. And funnier than I first thought it to be. Not only do I now LIKE it, I LOVE the play, and plan to it read it again this weekend, now that I know how to approach it.

You're quite right: it is a man's play. Men do relate to each other differently than woman do to woman (although I can only guess, having only been a man). Many times, in many of my male friendships, our teasing and our put-downs are our ways of showing affection; our ways of telling each other that we are Friends. This play--written by a woman-- captures that spirit quite honestly and quite truthfully.

Thanks for having us read it, Catherine. I had given up on ART, and would probably never have read it again if it weren't for this forum.

Also, don't hate all "male" plays. There just like Men: Some of them are good. Some of them aren't worth the price of admission. And most of them try too hard to be funny.

Also, thanks for the update on auditions. I'm gonna mark my calander and hope I'm clear those days.
Miss Brodie Posted - 30 Jun 2004 : 11:49:31 AM
I only read through ART once, rather quickly. I found a few chuckles, but I personally think it is mostly a man's play. Kind of interesting since the playwright is female. But, all the characters are male, and I have an ingrained prejudice against scripts with no female characters.

I will concede that a gifted cast could make it into something quite special, particularly under the brilliant direction of Rob Pherson.

By the way, auditions for ART have been put into the calendar for August 16 and 18. You've still got a shot, Irwin.
Prosper Block Posted - 29 Jun 2004 : 7:52:34 PM
The third time was certainly the charm for me, as this reading of ART clicked. This go'round, my reading rhythms and, as Rob put it, "the pauses, the timing of the lines, the exchanges of looks between characters [the Cast in my mind's eye], clever stage business, and the interplay of actors [that Cast, again]" were in sync, and I found this play to be funny, tender, wicked (VERY wicked!), and right on.

Rob stole my thunder with his insightful analysis of the play, and I'm also on the same page as him (though many may disagree, in theory, anyway) about finding and creating the comedy and "letting the intellectual questions fend for themselves." I trust your cast is up to it, and I look forward to seeing your production in October. (And if you're still looking for a "Marc"...)
Miss Brodie Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 6:12:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by zadodci
[brI had to special order Golden Boy. My local Barnes and Noble did not have it in stock (Neither do they have ART for that matter). It only just arrived so I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Since I have no other knowledge of the play "Golden Boy" I have nothing I can comment about it. But, Don't worry I will when I read it.

David M. Cicchelli
Treasurer

Oh, okay. I look forward to reading your comments.
zadodci Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 6:07:03 PM
quote:
Well, did you even read GOLDEN BOY? You didn't offer any comments.

I had to special order Golden Boy. My local Barnes and Noble did not have it in stock (Neither do they have ART for that matter). It only just arrived so I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Since I have no other knowledge of the play "Golden Boy" I have nothing I can comment about it. But, Don't worry I will when I read it.

David M. Cicchelli
Treasurer
RobP Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 3:05:26 PM
Since I will be directing ART for the Villagers in October, I feel compelled to respond.

ART is a brilliant, but tricky little play. Intellectually, it tackles several different themes at once. First, what is the nature of Art? Secondly, what is the nature of friendship, and is it different for men than for women. Thirdly, what is the nature of the creative process? Also, the play has a decidedly Freudian structure, with the three men representing the ego, the superego, and the id. However, the play has the reputation of being a side-splitting comedy. I am not implying that if you found it boring, or difficult to read, that you are intellectually not up to the task. Quite the contrary, although I never saw the Broadway production, the two productions I did see left me rather "underwhelmed" as well. As I sit thinking about my approach to the play, I believe that a director can easily fall into a trap with ART.

The trap lies in trying to answer all the intellectual questions at once, and not understanding the source of comedy in the play. Despite its clever language, ART does not have a lot of sure-fire punch-lines. The comedy arises from the pauses, the timing of the lines, the exchanges of looks between characters, clever stage business, and the interplay of actors. In short, it is a vehicle for comic stage actors. Just look at those who have succeeded in this play: Albert Finney, Alfred Molina, Alan Alda, Victor Garber, Philip Bosco--brilliant comedians all. The key, I think, to this play is to find, or create, the comedy and let the intellectual questions fend for themselves. They are ultimately unanswerable anyway, and that's the point Reza is trying to make.
Miss Brodie Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 11:56:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by zadodci

ART! I saw it at the Paper Mill Playhouse. IT bored me then. I am not looking forward to reading it. Now Jon says it is almost unreadable. I may have mentioned this play on the thread "Things I hated that everyone else loved" as my choice. If I didn't I should have.

David M. Cicchelli
Treasurer

Well, did you even read GOLDEN BOY? You didn't offer any comments.
zadodci Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 11:34:49 PM
ART! I saw it at the Paper Mill Playhouse. IT bored me then. I am not looking forward to reading it. Now Jon says it is almost unreadable. I may have mentioned this play on the thread "Things I hated that everyone else loved" as my choice. If I didn't I should have.

David M. Cicchelli
Treasurer

NJTheater.com © Copyright 1997-2009 NJTheater.com Go To Top Of Page