NJTheater.com Forum
NJTheater.com
NJTheater.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Theater Forum
 Play Reading Club
 UNCLE VANYA

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
* HTML is ON
* Forum Code is OFF
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Miss Brodie Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 11:27:15 AM
In an attempt to revive the discussion of play scripts, I propose that folks put in some summer reading time with Anton Chekhov's UNCLE VANYA. This play is being produced October 5-20, 2007 by the Villagers as part of the Black Box Series, under the direction of my beloved Rob Pherson.

Cody Dalton has already contributed these comments to the discussion: "I read Chris Columbus' translation of Vanya. It was fabulous. I really connected with the play for the first time. Laughing out loud one minute, shaking my head in despair about man's eternal myopia the next."

So, don't be afraid. Dive in!

"Acting is the oldest profession, no matter what claims are made by the other trade." - Charlton Heston
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Miss Brodie Posted - 29 Aug 2007 : 2:32:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ghartpence

On the play-reading note: a mutual friend has written two plays that deserve to be seen/heard; one about the Emperor Constantine and another one on modern politics and religion. Any suggestions on staged reading venues?

Venues for staged readings - well, you've come to the right place.

I may as well go ahead and open up the submissions for the Villagers New Playwrights Series. If our mutual friend is interested, have the scripts sent to my attention at Villagers Theatre, PO Box 6175, Somerset, NJ 08873-6175. Four scripts will be chosen to be presented as staged readings in February 2008.

Script submission guidelines are about to be posted on the General Theatre forum here.

"Acting is the oldest profession, no matter what claims are made by the other trade." - Charlton Heston
DWolfman Posted - 10 Aug 2007 : 6:32:27 PM
I had the pleasure of performing as Dr. Astrov in a production of VANYA. It remains as one of the highlights in my stage career. I agree that nothing seems to be accomplished by the efforts of the characters in this play, but watching them go through the motions is absorbing.

Will be interested in hearing more on this topic.

Even a man who is pure of heart...
Miss Brodie Posted - 10 Aug 2007 : 09:04:31 AM
That's a good question, Ziggy. I'm going to be doing some research on the play, the period and Chekhov himself - so I'll be properly prepared to assist on the production aspects. I am curious, too, about the society that prompted Chekhov to write about these ineffectual people. Stay tuned.

AND be sure to come see UNCLE VANYA in the Black Box at Villagers Theatre, October 5-20. Director Pherson will be emphasizing the humorous aspects in the script, so be prepared for a fun evening.

Zigeunerbaron Posted - 05 Aug 2007 : 11:44:48 AM
Well, that's the spirit Ms B. Glad to see you back in the playreading game, and congratulations for realizing that nepotism is just another word for 'multitasking.'
Since my reading of VANYA is actually courtesy of Rob's staged reading at Circle three years ago, I too have benefited from multitasking, so, how can I not venture an opinion?
One of the things that makes VANYA interesting to me is that, of the three Chekov plays I know anything about (CHERRY ORCHARD, VANYA, AND SEAGULL) , VANYA is the only one in which not only very little is accomplished by the end of the play (which seems to be true of all Chekov), but absolutely NOTHING seems to be accomplished. The Professor arrives with an agenda which he fails to achieve and, after much comic shennenigans, leaves with everything exactly as it was, which, if you think about it, is the case with most families, especially disfunctional ones, where maintaining the equilibrium of the lie is vastly preferable to the truth or to progress. In a way, it makes VANYA the epitomy of a stalled society. For that reason I wonder if Chekov thought of VANYA as the ultimate refinement of his theme?
ghartpence Posted - 09 Jul 2007 : 12:54:36 PM

Mr. Hartpence, how are you?

Audition dates for UNCLE VANYA have not been announced, but they are scheduled for Sunday, August 5 and Monday, August 6 at 7:00 p.m. No roles have been pre-cast. Will we be seeing you and the Mrs.?

[/quote]

Thanks! we'll be in touch.
On the play-reading note: a mutual friend has written two plays that deserve to be seen/heard; one about the Emperor Constantine and another one on modern politics and religion. Any suggestions on staged reading venues?
Miss Brodie Posted - 07 Jul 2007 : 09:43:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ghartpence

Hi "Miss Brodie",

Is Villagers holding open auditions for Vanya or has it been pre-cast?

Geo

Mr. Hartpence, how are you?

Audition dates for UNCLE VANYA have not been announced, but they are scheduled for Sunday, August 5 and Monday, August 6 at 7:00 p.m. No roles have been pre-cast. Will we be seeing you and the Mrs.?

ghartpence Posted - 28 Jun 2007 : 3:23:49 PM
Hi "Miss Brodie",

Is Villagers holding open auditions for Vanya or has it been pre-cast?

Geo

NJTheater.com © Copyright 1997-2009 NJTheater.com Go To Top Of Page